Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chinese Grandson!


Spring of 2005 found me in China for the first time. In awe and amazement, I was thrilled beyond my wildest expectation. Two weeks of business in Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Wuhan, left me fulfilled in great dining, sauna therapy, and a cache of great antiques. Surrounded by local partners and colleagues held together with Shaotang, my Chinese-American friend, this was not my normal rogue traveling way of getting around.
I was ready for a lot of me-time, alone in Beijing.

Equipped with two words ‘ni hao’ (hello) and ‘shi-shi’ (thank you), I was a bit concerned that I may be relegated to Club sandwiches and Chinese beer. I checked into the Beijing International Hotel brandishing its five stars where a travel agent tried to link me with 20 others for a trip to the Great Wall on the morrow. After a quick shower, I was ready to see Beijing or at least Tiananmen Square, not far from the hotel. Walking in the general direction, I sauntered through a shopping mall to avoid the heat. Fifty meters later a sincere young lady wanting to use her student English approached me. Ana saved Beijing for me. Appearing to be thirteen she was twenty-one and appointed herself to be my Chinese daughter. Moreover, I became her elder father. After learning my age, she was very cautious of my every move. We learned much about family and such on our way to the Square. Her student connections proved very useful. My request for tickets to the traditional Chinese Opera was met with her friend selling me tickets.



We had a snack with him then took a taxi to the theatre. As translations go, the show turned out to be a show of acrobats. It was very entertaining and admirable for the devotion to the trade, like a carry-over from Chairman Mao.









By the end of the day, Ana said she could arrange for a car and driver for my touring. At 9 AM the next morning they arrived at the Hotel and we were off to the Great Wall. Awesome! My next request was to visit a small village.


Ms. Li, a nurse in training and student friend, arrived with Ana and the car the following day. Her family home was an hour’s drive in a small town. The Li family was very cordial with grandpa, grandma, mom, pop, #1 daughter, with two children, and our Ms. Li. After a tour of his garden and the neighbor’s house, we were ready for lunch. This was quite an occasion, as people in this area had never seen a foreigner. All were honored but I more so.



Through email I learned of Ana’s marriage. I was in China three times in 2006 but not Beijing. Recently, I alerted her to a possible visit this year and just received photos of what she called my Chinese grandson.

No comments: