Monday, March 12, 2007

VietNam is a country not a war.

Awoke in the middle of the night and noticed flashes of lightning through the curtain. The noise of the air conditioner held back the sound of thunder. Without any pretense, the A/C went silent in a power outage. This gave rise to the turbulence of the night. Perhaps in a thatched-roof hut the thunder yields the echo of bombs from years ago. And they like us now feel comfort as the storm subsides to a peaceful rain.
Perhaps my best expression for the people of Vietnam is this letter. After three weeks of volunteer work there in 1995, I sent follow-up letters at the request of many students. Since a postal stamp to the USA would cost them a week’s wages no responses came.
Dear Young Lady,
I am Roger, the man that helped Ms. Chì in the English class at Tân Hiep School in October. You asked if I would write to you and so I am.
After my work in Vietnam, we went from Tân Hiep to Ho Chi Minh City for one day. I went to Kuching, Malaysia for six days. I visited the rain forests of Borneo. I went for a boat ride on the river to see the Iban tribal people.
After Malaysia, I took an airplane home to Michigan. It is a very long journey. The total time to travel from Kuching to Michigan was thirty-two hours. The airplane stopped in Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Chicago, and finally Detroit. My daughter Katrina was waiting for me to come home and now we are happy to be together again.
My time in Vietnam was very important to me. I am happy that the Vietnam people accepted our friendship. We have much to learn from each other. The people of Vietnam are working very hard to improve their country. I am very confident in the people of Vietnam. The Vietnamese have a big heart. If we can be friends, our countries can be friends. Your country had many difficult years of colonialism and war. That is all behind you now and your new freedom and independence will allow growth. I did not know this before I came to visit.
I hope you understand my words in this letter. I am writing it as I would to a friend in the USA. If you do not understand things, please tell me by return letter. I can use simpler words in the future if you prefer. This can be a test for you.
Please write and tell me all about yourself. I am very interested in your family, school, and your plans for the future. It was very interesting for the children in Tân Hiep to learn about the children in the USA. I returned with many letters from Vietnam and gave them to my daughter's classmates. The students at Brewster School were very happy to hear from you. I think many will send more letters.
Tell me what you dream of and what you hope for. Is it the same as what you work for? I want to know a lot about all people in the world. That is why I have spent a lot of time traveling. Maybe I can help you understand a few things you want to know. That’s what happens when you get older; you have an urge to sow the seeds you have gathered in your lifetime to benefit others who are in need. Life is not all harvest. We must return what we have gained to help humanity grow. If I can help inspire you, I will.
I wish you happiness and fulfillment. Please write to me when you can.
Love, Roger

No comments: