Saturday, May 12, 2007

The road home

My success at the Philadelphia trade show kept exhilaration embodied through tear down, loading my SUV, and finding an Interstate routing to get me to my next stop at Bellefonte. Left behind, was visiting my nephew’s new daughter in NYC and a distant cousin in NJ to workout some genealogy questions. Looking ahead was a loaded highway of semis leading the way through construction buoys. My grip on the wheel eased as I reached Harrisburg then followed the Susquehanna River on a less-traveled route. This time of year was special to witness Spring in various phases depending on the altitude. At an elevation of two thousand feet, deciduous trees were bare where the valleys were filled blooms and new life.
I had been in Bellefonte a couple years before in search of information at the library on a distant relative who was born there in 1810. The town was rich from history and embodied with stately homes. I was in awe at the lack of fast–food joints and major retail shopping areas. My Dashboard Debbie was working wonders. It has a points-of-interest selection and without any visible hotels I GPS'd for help. The nearest hotel was ten miles away but many a bed and breakfast. I picked a place called the Reynolds Mansion. With twelve rooms, I opted for one with a steam shower. It was a bit prissy with pink towels and a four-poster bed. There was too much faux-shit on the walls and I keep sniffing because of the scented fufu stuff in baskets. It would have been damn romantic if I wasn't alone. Charlotte said breakfast would be at nine but that was my scheduled appointment. She said she would put a serving of ham and cheese quiche in the refrigerator for my breakfast. Okay, so now I am feeling very limp-wristed. I went off to the Gamble Mill Tavern for a very manly steak.

No comments: