Saturday, September 29, 2007

Eulogy to Mrs. Stoddard

This majestic lady spanned five generations of my family. Her influence touched my father, my daughter, and particularly me. She was my teacher in second, third, and forth grades then again in the eighth at Leonard School.
My signed copy of her book, The Leopard’s Changing Spots says, “To My Favorite Student” but I know she favored all of us. Mrs. Stoddard never had a bad student. She found the good and brought out the best in everyone. Because her expectations were high, our achievements followed.
Beyond the arts and sciences, her inspiration by example came from a total absence of prejudice. There was no gender, racial, socio-economic, or intellectual advantage that impacted her principles.Shortly after her ninetieth birthday I stopped when seeing her trying out a new push-mower around a tree at her home. Of course, she did not need my help. Her independent spirit never faded. Mrs. Stoddard provided stability throughout my life knowing I could always find her at 70 Pontiac Street. I am going to miss that.

1 comment:

three-12's said...

I can recite every one of my grade school teachers' names and remember each of them clearly. Their words of praise or chastisment burned into our souls like almost no others in our lives before or since. Viola to the Mrs. Stoddard's of the world and to their grateful students.