Saturday, September 27, 2008

Road from Shanghai

RTW – 25-27 Sep 2008
Once on the job site, it was apparent the customer had no concern for my lost day, and they wanted me for the agreed two days. Expecting no less, the night before, I had emailed the details of my agenda to Jason, the young fellow assigned as my host. Here I am again, like a baby dependent on others to do for me. My day in Guangzhou would have to be scrubbed, and Jason spent much of our first day in the background talking with the airline to change my flight. He was coming up with options that would work for him – flying To Shen Zhen and take a train to Hong Kong – get the bus from Guangzhou to Hong Kong. Their local transportation is without English subtitles, and most service people are willing but not educated enough in English to get me through. Alas, Jason came through with the right plane connection and was able to do so without any additional charges. An excellent level of comfort settles in when things keep working.
My work was mostly completed by the morning of the second day. The customer gave me my leave with the right timing. Jason devoted to my cause, went to the airport with me, came inside, and saw to the success of his ticketing effort.
I was now in store for a gruesome chain of airports Shanghai – Guangzhou – Hong Kong – Bangkok – Dubai – Nairobi. Emirates is like airlines were before cost-cutting, and ‘equal opportunity’ came into play. Their HR people are very discriminating to put together obliging, disciplined, courteous, ever-smiling, and most beautiful ladies in flight. The fine cuisine was served with stainless utensils. Our 777 with full Boeing options was impeccably clean. The Emirates image crashed when we arrived in Dubai at 4:30 AM. The huge transit area was overflowing with thousands of people awaiting connections. Management was either in cahoots with the duty-free
shops or severely inept. My six-hour layover left me in the same situation as the masses.

No comments: