Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Our Children


A few years ago, I was doing some volunteer work in the Cook Islands but more so indulging in the serenity of this South Pacific island. I made a limited attempt to take care of business at home by telecommuting some design work and administrative duties via e-mail. Then there was a message from my daughter in high school telling me briefly what happened at Columbine that day and wondering why. I could only telephone to console her grief. In her fourteen years of life, there is no why; above all there is no guilt.
The events of this week have probably led most of us back to that day. There for the virtue of our children and the blamelessness of victims. I worked on these thoughts in writing of Auschwitz without conclusion. There is no presumption on my part to understand any of this. Mine is a reclusive behavior to dwell in the innocence and beauty of the world. Purity I have found in the indigenous peoples and most children of this earth. I have no contention to sway others but let us nourish our children and not glorify violence. Preserve the splendor of our environment. Pachelbel’s Canon is playing in the background as my thoughts of indulgence turns to fine wine, haut cuisine, and great works of art. It is that of creativity not destruction.

No comments: