Saturday, June 30, 2007

DTW-NRT-PEK

On the final three of an eighteen hour journey to Beijing, I have been upgraded to NWA’s World Business Class. I am not one to pay for added comfort as I go comatose during air travel and look to the destination. My Gold Elite status normally gets an upgrade in the States. I made Gold after 103,000 air miles last year. At thirty-six thousand feet above the Sea of Japan, I think of Leonard, where I spent the first eighteen years of my life. The dandy in the row ahead would never have come from a Midwest town of 391. His Gucci shoes and glasses border a matching green with silver stripped shirt and pants outfit. The silver coordinates with the bouffant curls of his charcoal hairdo. He probably earned every sawbuck it took to don his overweight frame.
The airline food was quite good. On board from Tokyo, the skewered beef and egg rolls of rice paper had the presentation factor given with Japanese cuisine. In business class you get real utensils. Years ago I would have hidden the stainless and added to my hors d’oeuvre collection at home. I haven’t matured but just have enough.
At least I am free from the screaming Japanese kids that traumatized the area around row twenty-seven from Detroit to Tokyo. I am not into in-flight movies but to seek sanction from the tirades of the four year old behind me, I put on the headset to seal my ears. “Freedom Writers” was showing. It may have been a bit melodramatic but it sure gave light to the plight of inner-city kids. I was emotionally drained but inspired to find miracles within us.


Looks like there may be some censorship in China - not sure if this will post..

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Nope, not censored.

Why is it the only thing that popped out to me in this post is your admittance to stealing stainless?

I'd have never guessed it.

Have a great time!
=)

three-12's said...

One never knows about Dandies with silver curls and Gucci shoes. He may have come from far more humble beginnings than Leonard, pop 391. He may be broke at a higher level, only wishing he had the holdings of an average Leonardite. The Gucci shoes may be on a past-due Visa, credit limit $100 million. One never knows about the man in the seat in front of us.