Monday, June 25, 2007

Loss of Innocence

I recently had some time to talk with my ex-brother-in-law Johnny, whom I made reference to in The Amish from the blog of April 20. As with most of my writings – it was a moment in time. Johnny had a small business selling nineteenth-century farm equipment to the Amish in the seventies. “It’s gone,” he says. “Gosh, the price of milk is the same today as it was in ‘73. There ain’t no way a family of fifteen can survive with such a market. How is an ole Dutchman gonna have a quarter-million bucks to buy land for his offspring to start a farm? Why the ole man has to do carpentry work away from home jus’ to feed the kids. Then he’s not there to tend his children. Oh, those that are hangin’ on the ole ways are doomed.”
I am quick to acknowledge ‘nothing remains the same’ but love to behold the innocence of our past. These writings are a chance to pay homage to what I respect. I mostly perceive primitive peoples and children of the world to be in possession of our souls.
In 2002, I returned to Brazil after twenty-five years to spend time with my then best friend Finardi’s family. Now his widow and their three beautiful children are adults and more magnificent than ever. After all of my absence, a wild search uncovered the seemingly ‘love of my life,’ Rosinha – which is deserving of a future blog in itself.
Last November, I met a man from Ghana who told me of my African nation is devastated by -----. I could not retain such truth. I hope to return to Ghana this year or next, find Armahfio and his family.
This Friday, I will be returning to Beijing for a little business. Two years ago, a young college student came up to me and asked if she could speak English with me. Ana will now have a husband and child for me to meet next week.
I have never been one to ‘go back.’ Whether it is some cosmic mist that made the magic of a first encounter, I am learning that there may be more to life than the past. There is a new reality for me to address
.

No comments: