Monday, October 29, 2007

Rosinha de Brasil

What could have been a routine assignment for my customer service duties became a tremor that rocked my world for years to come. I was assigned to a Volkswagen engine plant in Sao Bernardo de Campo constructed by our Brasilian licensee. Enco-Zolcsak was founded by a Hungarian refugee Estivan Zolcsak.
I left for Brasil in November 1974 and returned February 1975. I will never to be the same again, because of Brasil but mostly because of Rosinha.
This adventure could go on to equal a volume of "Atlas Shrugged" but the first chapter was certainly the most enchanting. Keyed into her power from those who feared her in stories that made it back to the States about this vixen possessing the financial reins of Enco-Zolcsak Ltda, I knew the challenge was great and I wanted her before I ever saw her.
I met her cold rejection with glancing blows to overcome a barrier, as I do not think anyone ever dared meet her head to head. By the time the company Christmas party came I had earned her respect. Something happened that night that changed both of us forever. Her shield dropped for a moment and a flame started between us. I saw her compassion for others and knew we had an opportunity. I volunteered to stay over Christmas, they thought to handle the Volkswagen problems but this gave Rosinha a chance to play host during the holidays for my "sacrifice". Christmas Eve at Steve's was nice but Christmas Day at Rosinha's was a real beginning to understanding the people of Brasil and getting close to Rosinha.
Her enchantment was so overwhelming. Nightlife in Sao Paulo was ours, swapping ice cubes during a kiss was very erotic after the initial shock. In her realm of restaurants and boites, she had a charm and majesty that brought her adoration from waiters. She showed a great deal of respect for servants and the impoverished, much to the contrast of her dealings with workers at Enco. In spite of her control over me there was always the bending of her ways to accommodate me.
I was quite enchanted by her belief in her "Protector" this was definitely Brasilian. An old lady's picture was displayed in her car and my questions concerning her were ignored outside of once acknowledging her to be her protector. One day I realized I was getting very close to Rosinha when on a Saturday drive we arrived at a house and were greeted by the old lady. She was definitely what I would call a mystic with candles, deities and the like. I think the base was Catholicism with major ties to Candomblé. I expect Rosinha used her as a seer and fortuneteller with palm readings and the like. Rosinha showed her the type of admiration you gave your mother. I was honored by being formally introduced. I believe Rosinha was supporting her financially.
What could have been my last day in Brasil, marked my return. Now Roger Whittiker's “Last Farewell” recalls the passion of that night when we parted. Never before or never again will my heart beat as fast as it did that night. Within the grounds of her family abode, we lost all sense of surroundings and consciousness to encompass each other
.

No comments: